Community Post: Freedom Of Speech: Explained Thru GIFS
1. Freedom of Speech is Fantastic
Most of us can agree on this one. It’s pretty freaking awesome
2. It’s Even In The Number One Amendment
As we all know, being number one is the best!
3. It Even Has A Bunch Of Cool Friends
The First Amendment isn’t just freedom of speech, it’s also freedom of religion, freedom of the press and freedom to assemble.
4. It’s Basically the Fonzie of the First Amendment
When talking about freedom of speech many people just say “First Amendment”, like when Fonzie took over Happy Days!
5. But The Freedom of Speech Isn’t Bulletproof
Like the best Swiss Cheese, it has some holes in it.
6. For Example:
You can’t threaten to kill the president, or anyone else for that matter. This, of course, is also known as verbal assault. It’s illegal.
Neither is lying (especially when it involves commercial products)
And there is a whole list of other thing that also aren’t protected by the First Amendment: child pornography, obscenity, slander, libel, “fighting words” (for real), and much more.
10. Well That’s Fine, But I Can Say Anything Else I Want And Nothing Can Happen To Me Right?
11. Let’s Take A Look At That Duck Dynasty Dude
You Know, The One With The Beard
12. As You Know He Said Some Messed Up Nonsense Recently
And got put on probation for it
14. Apparently His First Amendment Rights Were Being Violated
Once again, nope!
15. Freedom of Speech Doesn’t Protect You From Repercussions
He can’t legally get in trouble, he didn’t threaten anybody in a specific believable way, but that doesn’t mean nothing will happen to him, outside the legal system
16. You Can Still Get Legally Fired For Saying Dumb Things
Like calling your boss “an asshole”, constantly harassing other employees or putting your company in a bad light by, you know, saying “Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there. Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men.”
17. So The Next Time Someone Tries To Tell You Phil Robertson Shouldn’t Be Fired
Just Remember: Freedom of speech is like the best Swiss Cheeses, full of holes. Or show them this list, whatever.